How to Setup a VPN on iPhone 7
Bernard Hastings | Last Updated:
If you’re trying to figure out how you can use the Internet safely from your iPhone 7, this article is just for you. Apple released its futuristic iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus models in 2016, surprising the world with their highly advanced features. From dual cameras to the famously missing headphone jack, the seventh generation iPhone showed us a glimpse of future smartphone technology. But while it had every sophisticated feature one could think of, it missed one thing everyone needs: a safe and secure internet connection.
Well, we can’t blame the iPhone 7 for that. Even the latest smartphones can’t manage an inbuilt feature for securing internet connections. The solution to this problem for iPhone models is using a VPN. A Virtual Private Network allows your iPhone 7 to connect to the Internet through a safe and private connection rather than a public network that exposes you and your data. Using a VPN not only guises your IP address but also encrypts your communication with the Internet. This way, no one can know your actual location or what you do on the Internet. The iPhone 7 doesn’t come with an in-built VPN app, so you’ll have to download and install one.
Quick Guide to Installing a VPN on your iPhone 7
- Finding the right VPN app – Search the App Store for VPN apps. We recommend ExpressVPN because of its high compatibility with iPhone 7
- Choosing the right plan for you – If you opt for ExpressVPN, you’ll have to select one of the three payment plans they offer.
- Installing – Tap on the download button, and the app will be downloaded and installed automatically.
- Connecting to a secure VPN server – Once the VPN app is installed, open it to configure the settings. You can adjust settings to your liking, for instance, which server location or VPN protocol to use.
- Relax and enjoy the Internet safely – When the VPN app shows you’re connected, your device is now protected from all security risks.
Our Recommended VPN App for iPhone 7
There are dozens if not hundreds of VPN apps on the App Store, and all of them claim to be good. Only people who have tried and tested all of the best VPN apps out on the market can tell which one takes the top spot. Worry not; you won’t have to try out all of them. We’ve already done that for you. There are only a handful of VPN apps that actually work well, and when it comes to the best VPN app for iPhone 7, ExpressVPN is our pick. The section below explains why.
- Supported Devices:
We recommend ExpressVPN for the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus for a range of different reasons. Not only does this Britain-based VPN service provider have a remarkable repute in the market, but its extreme compatibility with the iPhone 7 and lightning-fast speeds make it the perfect VPN to use. Here’s an analysis of ExpressVPN features.
Lightning-fast Connection Speeds – The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus boast powerful processors and are pretty fast when it comes to browsing. We certainly don’t want a VPN that compromises your smartphone’s browsing speed. With ExpressVPN, you won’t have to worry about any lags because, frankly, ExpressVPN is ‘The Fastest’ VPN in the market. With an incredible speed average speed of 135 Mpbs, the VPN service provider surpasses its competitors and allows you to secure your connection without any inconvenience.
Compatibility with iPhone 7 – ExpressVPN, as its name suggests, is all about securing your connection with the Internet swiftly and seamlessly. The VPN’s app works with iOS in absolute harmonization to protect you and your data without even letting your notice that you’re using a VPN. Just a tap of the screen is what you need, and you’re protected from the risks of the Internet.
Unbreakable encryption – Encryption strength is one of the most important factors when choosing the right VPN service. Because of its sleek, compact design and swift processing, the iPhone 7 has got a James Bond touch to it. To match that, ExpressVPN provides James Bond-level security with its 256-bit AES encryption. The state-of-the-art encryption technology employed by ExpressVPN ensures no one can decipher the encrypted data flow on your device.
30-day money-back guarantee – As if the incredible speed and security features were not enough, ExpressVPN completes the spell with a 30-day money-back guarantee which means anyone can try the VPN app on their iPhone 7 to see how it works.
Perfect for streaming – ExpressVPN is tailor-made for unblocking streaming services such as Netflix or iPlayer. Its fast speed ensures you can stream in HD quality without buffering.
How to Check if VPN is Working on Your iPhone 7
- Check Your Original IP Address – Before connecting the VPN, open Safari Browser on your iPhone 7 and go to https://whatismyipaddress.com. Note down your current IP address.
- Connect to VPN Server – Open the VPN app on your iPhone 7 and connect to a server from a different location. The VPN server will display your new IP address, also note that down.
- Recheck IP Address – Go back to Safari and recheck your IP address after being connected to VPN.
- Results – If the IP address you checked later is the same as that of the VPN server and is different than your original IP address, the VPN is working on your iPhone 7.
Does a VPN connection drain iPhone 7 battery?
A VPN app, when active, uses minimal battery. The average battery usage is no more than 5-15%. Still, if you want to keep your iPhone protected at all times, use a VPN app that is optimized for your iPhone 7, such as ExpressVPN.
How do I know my iPhone 7 is protected without having to check my IP address?
When you’re connected to a VPN server and your connection is secured, a little VPN icon will appear on the top of your iPhone’s screen. The presence of the icon means you’re protected.
Is it legal to use a VPN on my iPhone 7?
Using a VPN is perfectly legal on any iPhone device, given that your country allows it. In fact, it is the recommended thing to do to protect yourself and your privacy.