How to watch Copa Libertadores online
James Patterson | Last Updated:
Online Privacy & Internet Security Expert
The annual Copa Libertadores tournaments represents the highest level of competition for football clubs in South America, and never fails to deliver plenty of blood-pumping football action each year. It’s not always possible to catch your favorite match-ups online, however, due to geo-blocks which stop you from accessing specific streams from certain locations. You’ll often run into these restrictions while trying to watch sports streams while travelling abroad.
Luckily, these annoying restrictions are not impossible to overcome. By using a Virtual Private Network, or VPN, you can choose which location you display to the websites you visit, and unlock football streams previously only available in other regions. A VPN does its magic by connecting you first to a secure VPN server before you access other sites, which means that any sports-viewing app you’re using can only see the location of your VPN server, and not your real location.
Where can I watch the Copa Libertadores Online?
If you’re not already subscribed to a sports streaming site, you first need to find a sports app which allows you to watch the Copa Libertadores online. Here are the various paid and free options for streaming these matches in each location. If you’re not currently located in these regions, you can still access the streams by connecting to a VPN server based in that country.
- BBC iPlayer: The BBC iPlayer is a free and fully licensed online app which streams most of the broadcaster’s TV content on the internet, including the Copa Libertadores. This app is only available in the UK, and if you’re connecting via a VPN, you also need to sign up for an iPlayer account using a UK postcode.
- Fox Sports: Fox streams the Copa Libertadores on its Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 channels. You can watch these channels legally online by paying for Youtube TV, fuboTV or Hulu. Note that you will need to connect from a US server to watch these matches.
- Fanatiz: This budget football-focused streaming service shows Copa Libertadores matches both live and on demand for the US and Canada regions. There’s also a 7-day free trial available, if you want to try out the app before committing.
- DAZN: DAZN requires a paid monthly subscription, but a 30-day free trial is offered to new sign-ups. The global sports streaming app is available worldwide in over 200 different countries, though its content library varies according to which region you’re connecting from. We recommend connecting to servers in Germany, Japan or Spain if you want to catch the Copa Libertadores matches live.
Copa Libertadores VPN Guide: Here’s how to access your preferred Copa Libertadores sports app with a VPN.
- Choose a great VPN service. We recommend ExpressVPN for its exceptional speed and compatibility.
- Download the VPN. Install it onto the device you’re using to watch sports.
- Login to the VPN app.
- Connect to a VPN server. This needs to be where the Copa Libertadores are available on your streaming app.
- Set up complete! Open your stream and get ready to watch some intense football action!
The Three Best VPNs for unblocking the Copa Libertadores
There are three great VPN providers which we’re comfortable recommending for streaming sports content, including the Copa Libertadores. Out of these, ExpressVPN stands out for offering the fastest speed, along with its easy compatibility with a wide range of smart devices.
1. ExpressVPN – lag-free sports streaming
- Supported Devices:
While using any VPN inevitably slows down your connection, ExpressVPN has a reputation of being one of the fastest VPN services on the market, making it perfect for streaming content. Their speed-optimized server network and Lightway VPN connection protocol is able to offer internet connection speeds of up to 135 MBPs, more than fast enough for streaming content in 4k UHD. There’s no need to test out individual servers for yourself to find the fastest one either – they have a built-in speed test feature which tells you the exact speed of each server at the moment.
ExpressVPN’s huge network of 3,000 servers covers 95 different countries as well. This means that there’s no need to worry about not finding regional servers able to unblock your favorite sports app. Their 24/7 customer support is always on hand to help you unblock the specific region you’re interest in, should you run into further issues.
This premium VPN service has simple apps available for a wide range of electronic devices, including nine major brands of Smart TVs. ExpressVPN also employs obfuscated servers technology to make sure that their VPN works in any country and on any network, even those which restrict VPN use. If you’re still unsure over whether the service is able to help you unblock Copa Libertadores matches however, feel free to try them out risk-free with their 30-day money back guarantee.
2. NordVPN – more vpn servers than anyone else
- Supported Devices:
NordVPN has a strong network of 5,300 servers spread across 62 countries, giving it the ability to unblock a wide variety of sports apps. The VPN’s speed-optimized 10 GBPs servers also make sure that you won’t have to worry about buffering when watching live sports matches.
NordVPN truly shines, however, when it comes to privacy and keeping you safe on the internet. They have a full set of security features, including end-to-end military-grade AES 256-bit encryption, Perfect Forward Secrecy and RAM-based servers, which keep your online activities and personal information hidden. These features are especially useful if you’re in the habit of using unsecured public WIFI networks, or are travelling to a country where the government keeps tabs on private internet use.
3. SurfShark – allows unlimited connected devices
- Supported Devices:
Surfshark is a budget VPN which comes with a full set of premium features. Despite offering one of the lowest subscription rates available and unlimited simultaneous connections, they cut no corners when it comes to server size and speed. With a vast network of 3200 servers in 65 countries, there’s very little online content that Surfshark cannot unblock.
Surfshark is also ideal for frequent travelers, due to its No Borders mode which automatically detects restrictions placed on your internet network, and suggests a nearby server which can help you unblock these restrictions. Their Camouflage mode also hides your VPN use in countries which ban unauthorized VPN connections, such as China.
Should I Watch the Copa Libertadores with a Free VPN?
It’s often simply not possible to watch sports streams such as the Copa Libertadores with a free VPN. Many free VPN services have very limited server options, making it hard to find a suitable server to unblock the stream you want. Limited servers also make it easy for sports apps to find and block known VPN servers, since using a VPN to watch streams is often against the sites’ terms of service.
And even if you do get a stream working, slow connection speeds and bandwidth limits making watching HD streams a chore on free VPNs. Even worse, some free VPN services collect and sell user data in order to make money, threatening your online privacy. We highly recommend going with a reputable premium VPN service like ExpressVPN instead.
Is it Legal to stream the Copa Libertadores with a VPN?
VPN use by itself is perfectly legal in the vast majority of countries, although a few more restrictive countries such as Iran and China have tight laws on how VPNs can be used. That being said, you can often stumble upon illegal or pirated streams of the Copa Libertadores online, which means you should always find out whether a stream is officially licensed if you want to avoid breaking copyright laws.