Best VPN for Venezuela (Updated 2021)
Oliver Bradshaw | Last Updated:
Technical VPN Analyst
As Venezuela faced the peak of an unprecedented economic and humanitarian crisis in 2019, the world was watching. Information about Nicolás Maduro’s authoritarian government, Juan Guaidó’s daring attempt to gain control and the economic collapse that left 9 out of 10 Venezuelans unable to afford food, was all available through the media. Unless you lived in Venezuela.
Under Maduro’s rule, extensive censorship of news outlets, social media and many other internet sites began in attempt to prevent opposition to the government. Ranked 147 on the 2020 World Press Freedom Index, Venezuela is a dangerous place to be loyal to the truth. Journalists and critics are often killed, leaving the millions of Venezuelans in the dark about the political and economic situation around them.
Authorities block sites like Youtube, Instagram, Facebook and more with simple DNS (Domain Name System) blocking as well as ordering Internet service providers to stop connecting users to these sites. They can even control when certain things will be blocked, for example, sites capable of live-streaming will go down as soon as the opposition attempts to broadcast a message.
In response, Venezuelan citizens have begun to use VPNs (Virtual Private Networks) to bypass the restrictions of the government by encrypting their web traffic and stop it from being intercepted. However, the Venezuelan gvernment quickly caught on and began blocking VPN services too. Yet, the right to use a VPN in Venezuela as a resident and as a visitor remains intact.
Here are the three best VPNs to use while in Venezuela:
However, not all VPN services on the market are able to circumvent the VPN block measure put in place by the Venezuelan government. Many of the smaller vpn service providers simply don’t have the technical know-how or server hardware resources to be able to compete with a government organisation. Below are x3 leading VPN service providers which our team has personally verified as working in Venezuela:
- Supported Devices:
ExpressVPN has 3,000 servers in 160 VPN server locations across 94 countries, making it a perfect choice to unblock geo-restricted content from anywhere in the world. ExpressVPN is one of the few VPN services that have servers in Venezuela, making it ideal for citizens for banking and other secure activities.
ExpressVPN holds its encryption of your traffic to the same standard as the U.S. government. Meaning that your private data is as a secure as classified information. Their other security measures include DNS leak protection and an Internet kill switch, guaranteeing that you’ll be protected if the connection breaks. These features are increasingly important in the heavily monitored setting of Venezuela.
All ExpressVPN plans include the following features:
- Apps for devices: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, game consoles, smart TVs
- Jurisdiction: British Virgin Islands
- 3,000+ Servers / 160 Locations / 94 Countries
- 30-day Money-Back Guarantee
- Live, 24-hour customer support
- VPNCompass Speed Test: 75.44 Mb/second
- Supported Devices:
NordVPN comes at a great price without a sacrifice in quality. It’s perfect for getting around censorship as they have over 5,000 servers in 59 countries. Security and privacy is also a top feature. They have a no-logs policy which means that your private data will not be tracked or shared by your VPN provider. Using two separate rounds of encryption, NordVPN may be one of the most secure VPNs in the world.
Despite being having one of the most vast networks, NordVPN doesn’t have any servers in Venezuela. However, if your priority is to bypass geo-restricted content, NordVPN is a great choice. Its large network and high speeds earn NordVPN its spot in the top three VPNs for Venezuela. With its SmartPlay feature, all the geo-blocked content becomes easy to stream.
- Supported Devices:
SurfShark is especially good at unblocking content in censored locations such as Venezuela. SurfShark’s extensive security measures include Double VPN servers, high level encryption, and a kill switch. With 1,700 servers in more than 60 countries SurfShark has a large server base perfect for bypassing geo-restrictions. They offer a great low price with unlimited connections, allowing you to be protected on all of your devices.
SurfShark is offered at a great value with a low monthly payment. However, this doesn’t come with the lack of important and useful features. They provide a select few features that are unlike most other VPNs. This includes an ad blocker, a Whitelister and multiple Netflix libraries. If you want to access censored content from Venezuela, SurfShark is an excellent choice.
Key features to look for in a VPN for Venezuela:
- Access to geo-restricted content: Be sure the VPN you choose is able to bypass restrictions on geo-restricted content. Make sure the VPN has proof of working in heavily censored countries such as Venezuela and China. Other features that ensure you can bypass government censorship is Double VPN and Advanced Encryption Standard (AES).
- No Logs Policy: this is critical. If you are trying to connect to the internet in Venezuela via a VPN, make sure that the vpn service provider that you select has a strict No-Logs policy. Such a policy means that they do not store any information about your use of their vpn service. As a result, even if the vpn provider is raided by the Venezuelan Police, the vpn provider simply won’t have data (i.e. vpn connection logs) to provide to the Venezuelan Police.
- Security and Privacy: Again, look for AES as well as military-grade encryption. This type of encrypion ensures that even if the Venezuelan Government or Military tries to intercept your internet data, the vpn encryption protocols will ensure that they are not successful.
- Local Servers: Look for a VPN with servers in Venezuela to be able to secure an IP address in the country. This can help you with accessing personal information online without a security risk, such as banking.
- Vast Network: If the VPN has a large network of servers over numerous countries, it ensures that you can access information free of geo-restrictions and may play a role in the speed of the connection.
- Device compatibility: Finally, you want to make sure that the device or devices you plan to be using will be compatible with the VPN you choose. You can check this on the website of the VPN provider.