How to Change your Netflix Region [Tested in 2022]
Heidi Finigan | Last Updated:
VPN Streaming Expert
Tired of the movies that you want to watch always being unavailable on Netflix? The video-streaming platform has a huge library of movies and TV shows, but unfortunately much of this selection is region-restricted. This means that Netflix subscribers accessing the platform from different countries would find different shows available for viewing on their Netflix content libraries, due to regional licensing issues. Some regions can have a huge library while others have a relatively limited selection, but even in regions with wider selections users often run into the problem of finding specific movies that they want to watch being unavailable on the streaming platform.
You don’t need to let these regional restrictions get in the way of your Friday movie nights though – with the help of a Virtual Private Network, or VPN, you can make your internet traffic appear to be coming from a geographical location of your choice. This is how it works: when you connect to the internet through a VPN, your web traffic is first routed to a private server hosted by the VPN provider in another country, before then accessing Netflix from that server. Netflix would be tricked into thinking that you’re a user from that country, allowing you to access the full Netflix content of that region.
How to easily Change your Netflix Region with a VPN
Using a VPN is usually a quick and simple process. Follow our 5 steps below to quickly set yourself up and start unlocking more movies from Netflix!
QUICK GUIDE: how to change your Netflix region quickly and easily
- Get a VPN – we highly recommend ExpressVPN because of their proven ability to reliably get around Netflix region restrictions.
- Download and Install the VPN software on the device you want to watch Netflix on. (PC, Mac, Android, iOS, Tablet, Smart TV, Router)
- Connect – open your VPN app and select a vpn server. This server needs to be in the country whose Netflix content you want to access!
- Got To Netflix – navigate to the Netflix website on your device, and login as normal.
- View the Netflix Library – you will now find new unblocked content in your Netflix library according to the country of the vpn server that you connected to. Choose a movie and start watching. How easy was that!
Can I Watch Netflix even while Abroad?
Yes, in fact that’s one of the main perks of using a VPN to watch Netflix. No matter which country you’re travelling in, connecting to a VPN would allow you to access Netflix from anywhere that your VPN provider has servers in, allowing you to watch all of the movies and TV shows available in that region. This ensures that you don’t suddenly lose access to a movie or TV show you were planning to watch on Netflix when you visit another country.
However, this doesn’t mean that any and all VPN providers would be able to unblock access to region-restricted Netflix content. Major video-streaming platforms such as Netflix are very much aware that users often try to get around their regional restrictions by using a VPN, and have put various measures in place to detect and block VPN use. Some VPN providers, particularly the larger ones with more resources, are able to defeat these measures and allow their users to access Netflix regardless, while others are unable to. In view of this, we recommend looking for a VPN provider with the following five features necessary for providing a smooth Netflix watching experience:
- Fast internet access optimized for streaming videos
- No bandwidth limit – watching HD video online takes up a lot of internet bandwidth
- High server count in wide variety of locations.
- Automatic kill switch
- Strong data encryption and robust security features
Our Top VPN Picks
Feeling a little overwhelmed by the many different VPN providers out there and the huge range of features being offered? We’ve looked through the VPN market for you, and below are three VPN providers which we highly recommend for watching Netflix.
#1. ExpressVPN – blazing fast vpn streaming servers
- Supported Devices:
ExpressVPN is one of the most well-known VPN providers on the market today, and have a reputation for being able to offer its subscribers extremely fast connection speeds. Their servers are not only optimized for streaming, ExpressVPN also has a Smart Location feature able to automatically select the fastest server in any given location for its users. This allows for a smooth, buffer-free Netflix experience even when streaming high-bandwidth HD videos.
And you can take full advantage of these incredible connection speeds due to their policy of having no bandwidth limits. Streaming HD video for a few hours can easily use up tens of gigabytes of data, meaning that any VPN service which imposes a bandwidth cap is likely unable to allow you to watch Netflix for extended sessions. ExpressVPN gives you the choice of enjoying as much Netflix content as you want.
ExpressVPN also has servers proven capable of getting around Netflix’s VPN detection and unblocking the regional content of many countries. They have a wide network of over 3,000 different servers in 94 countries, meaning that you can connect easily access regional Netflix content from many of these countries. The high server count per country is especially important, since even if one ExpressVPN server in a country is detected and blocked by Netflix, there are many other servers in that country which you can still connect to and access Netflix from.
Of course, it is costly for VPN providers to constantly stay ahead of Netflix’s VPN detection and continuously maintain a wide network of servers. This is where another one of ExpressVPN’s strengths come into play: being a large and well-established long-time VPN provider, they have both the resources and technical know-how needed to maintain their lead over Netflix in this technological arms race. For some sense on their scale, it was estimated that ExpressVPN was downloaded by over 8 million users and earned $2.2 million in estimated revenue for the first five months of 2020 alone.
ExpressVPN wraps all of these amazing features up in an extremely consumer-friendly package. With an intuitive set-up process, easy-to-understand interface and support for a huge range of devices from your iPhone and android smartphone to laptops and Smart TVs, ExpressVPN makes it very easy for new users to simply subscribe and start using their service to unblock region-restricted Netflix content.
- Supported Devices:
NordVPN is our second recommendation for Netflix fans, and one of the key reasons for that is its extremely high server count. They boast a network of more than 5,000 servers in 62 countries, a much more expansive network than most of their competition. A large selection of servers is important for Netflix users looking to access regional content for two main reasons: many servers to connect to ensure that NordVPN’s servers don’t get overwhelmed with users and slow down during peak times, and also mean that even if Netflix detects and blocks one of these servers, you can easily connect to another one and continue watching Netflix.
NordVPN also protects the privacy of its users with by encrypting their internet traffic. They employ one of the strongest encryption algorithms available, AES 256-bit military-grade encryption. This ensures that your internet activity stays private from anyone, even Netflix or your Internet Service Provider, allowing you to watch movies online in privacy.
And to further protect this privacy, NordVPN’s program comes with a built-in kill switch, which can be configured to shut off either your entire internet connection or a few selected applications when a disconnection from the VPN service is detected. Accidental VPN disconnections can happen for a variety of reasons, such as an issue with your computer or an accidental click of the close application button, which makes a kill switch important for ensuring that your true location stays undiscovered by Netflix when these mishaps happen.
- Supported Devices:
Our final recommended VPN for unblocking Netflix content is Surfshark for its full range of features at a uniquely low price. They are one of the most economical VPN providers compared to other well-known alternatives, offering a 24-month pricing plan for new subscribers which works out to only $2.49 a month. You don’t want to be paying out the nose for a VPN subscription on top of your Netflix subscription payments, and Surfshark helps you save a few dollars every month while also giving you full access to Netflix content.
Another one of Surfshark’s unique selling points is its guarantee of unlimited simultaneous connections per account. Most VPN providers limit the total number of connected devices to five or six simultaneously, but Surfshark’s generous offer means that you can connect all of your devices, and even those of your friends and family, while only paying a single subscription fee. This is a great deal if you know anyone else interested in unblocking access to more Netflix content.
Surfshark also has a strict no-logs policy which means no records of your internet activity are kept, ever. This keeps your browsing activity private and secure, and means that even when travelling to the small number of countries where VPN use is illegal, such as China or Iran, you can still use Surfshark to access Netflix content from other regions without worrying over whether your VPN activity would be discovered. Even should the authorities raid Surfshark, they would be unable to recover information on when or from where you’re connecting to the VPN.
How do I get past the Netflix Proxy Error?
Accessing Netflix through a known VPN or proxy server often leads you to an error page claiming that you’ve been detected using an “unblocker or proxy”, and that these services need to be turned off before accessing Netflix. Frustrating, but there is a work-around: Use a premium VPN service with servers capable of accessing Netflix undetected, such as the three providers we recommend above.
QUICK GUIDE – getting past the Netflix Proxy Error:
- Pick out a reputable VPN provider with a large number of servers. We recommend ExpressVPN for the best experience.
- Subscribe to the service, installing the VPN program on your device.
- Pick and connect to a server in your preferred location.
- Sign in to your Netflix account and try playing a video! If you’re using a major paid VPN service (like the ones we recommended above) the error page should not show up. And if it still does, simply go back to step 3 and keep trying until you find a server which works.
How do I change my Netflix region on Android?
VPN providers often include phone apps as part of their subscription service, which allows you to download their app from the Android play store and connect to the VPN service on your smartphone. This can be convenient if you’re in the habit of streaming Netflix from your phone and want to change your Netflix region to get access to more content. Below, we take you through the process of changing this region on your device.
QUICK GUIDE – Netflix region change on an Android device:
- Subscribe and create a Netflix account online, if you don’t already have an existing one.
- Do the same for a VPN provider of your choice.
- Download and install the VPN service’s app onto your android device.
- Connect to a server available on your VPN’s network. This server needs to be in the region which you want to access Netflix from.
- You’re all set-up! Open the Netflix app or website on your phone, and you should see that Netflix now automatically redirects you to your preferred region.
How do I change my Netflix region on iPhone?
Similarly, changing the Netflix region on your iPhone and unlocking more content is easy with a VPN service that has an app available on the Apple App Store. Follow our 5-step guide below to quickly learn how to do so.
QUICK GUIDE – Netflix region change on an iPhone device:
- Pick a VPN service provider that is both capable of unblocking Netflix consistently and offers an app on the Apple App store. If you’re unsure which ones fit the bill, we recommend ExpressVPN.
- Subscribe to the VPN service online.
- Download the VPN’s app from the App Store, and login to your account from the app.
- Connect to a server in a different region on your VPN app
- Login to the Netflix website – you should now have access to Netflix content from that region!
How do I change my Netflix region on a Smart TV?
A VPN can also help you change the Netflix region on your Smart TV, allowing you access to even more content that you can enjoy on your big screen. Follow our guide below to quickly learn how.
QUICK GUIDE – Netflix region change on your Smart TV:
- Choose a VPN service able to unblock Netflix and can be installed on your home internet router.
- Subscribe to and download the VPN program to a device connected to your home router network.
- Follow your VPN provider’s instructions on setting up the VPN connection for your router. Once set-up, connect to a server in the region of your choice.
- Now that your router is connected to the VPN network, go to your Smart TV’s settings and change its native region to the one you are connected to on your VPN.
- Congratulations! You can now access content in your new Netflix region through your Smart TV’s Netflix app!
Next Steps …
Although both NordVPN and SurfShark are reputable vpn service providers and will provide you with a solid service, for this test we chose ExpressVPN. When you’re trying to change your Netflix region, the main vpn functionality to consider are: VPN Server / Network speed (for a fast and smooth connection that does not buffer or lag), intuitive and easy to use apps available for all of your different device types, and vpn servers located in or near your country of residence (the closer you are to the vpn server, the better your connection speed will be). These are all areas where ExpressVPN excels. To change your Netflix region and unlock content Netflix libraries in other countries outside of your own, the most simple and hassle-free choice is ExpressVPN.