Best VPN for PUBG
James Patterson | Last Updated:
Online Privacy & Internet Security Expert
Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds, better known as PUBG, is the legendary multiplayer shooter which popularized the entire Battle Royale genre back in early 2017. The game remains popular today with close to 72 million copies sold as of 2021, but it is unfortunately blocked in many countries such as China, Nepal and Jordan. You might also find access to the game blocked on your school or workplace networks, which often restrict connections to online games.
Don’t lose hope just yet though: PUBG can still be played on these networks with some help from a Virtual Private Network, or VPN. By rerouting your internet activity through a separate VPN server, you can hide both your real location and what you’re doing on the internet from the authorities, allowing you to access PUBG and all of your other favorite online games on networks and in countries where the game was previously blocked.
How do you play PUBG on a VPN?
It’s not hard to set-up a VPN for use with PUBG. Here is a quick 5-step rundown of the process:
PUGB TOP TIPS: essential steps to start using a vpn:
- Read up on the VPN providers available, and subscribe to one with the connection speed and server coverage necessary for online gaming – if you’re unsure, we recommend going with NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN onto your laptop or smartphone, whichever one you usually play PUBG on. For console players, the VPN program needs to be installed directly onto your WIFI router.
- Open the VPN program and run it with administrative privileges.
- Choose a VPN server to connect to. Picking one closer to your preferred PUBG server would give you better speeds and lower lag!
- Everything’s set up now! You should now be able to access PUBG no matter where you are in the world. Create an account for the game if you haven’t already, and start playing!
Our Top VPN Choices for PUBG
NordVPN is our go-to choice for a gaming VPN service because of its fast connection speeds and high priority on user security. You are able to connect to more than 5,000 different server locations in 65 different countries through NordVPN’s huge server network, which keeps your connection speed snappy even during periods of high user activity.
NordVPN also takes your privacy extremely seriously by keeping zero logs of any of your internet activity on their network. This means that nobody would be able to track records of your internet activity, important in countries where VPN use is illegal or for games which ban VPN use, such as PUBG.
And NordVPN’s obfuscated servers make sure that the VPN slips through detection by these same authorities while you are using the service to connect to the game. Many PUBG gamers playing on the mobile version of the game have been banned for using a VPN, something which you should have no worries about with NordVPN.
NordVPN is also deliberately incorporated in Panama, which means that they are free from the jurisdiction of any other countries. Your country’s government would be unable to legally compel NordVPN to turn over information on their users, especially since Panama has no laws on data-retention, nor is it a party to any information sharing agreements with other countries.
However, even the best security features can be defeated by an unlucky accident, such as a technical error disconnecting you from the VPN network. This is where NordVPN’s kill switch comes in: this feature automatically disrupts your internet connection when your VPN connection drops for any reason, making sure that your internet activity stays protected at all times.
Below are the latest NordVPN subscription prices, current as at September 2023:
- 1 Month: $11.95
- 1 Year: $4.92 (Save 58%)
- 2 Years: $3.67 (3 Months Free + Save 69%)
Note: All prices are in USD, and are Per Month.
ExpressVPN’s high server count and impressive global coverage makes it our second recommendation, despite its higher-than-average subscription fees. By allowing you to connect to over 3,000 servers in 95 different countries, you’re free to play PUBG with minimal lag in any region of your choice.
ExpressVPN also goes to great lengths to ensure that its customers enjoy a high-speed connection at all times. It’s often been lauded as one of the fastest VPN services on the market, with optimized high-speed servers fast enough for high bandwidth activities such as torrenting, HD video streaming and, yes, online gaming. Selecting the highest-speed server in your region is also easy: ExpressVPN’s Smart Location can automatically pick the fastest server for you, or you can use their built-in speed test to quickly compare current speeds for each server.
And along with its impressive speed, ExpressVPN is also a highly secure VPN. They utilize one of the strongest encryption algorithms available, the military-grade AES 256-bit encryption standard, to protect all of your sensitive personal information. This is the same encryption standard employed by US national security agencies, so rest assured that nobody would be able to spy on your gaming activities while using ExpressVPN.
Below are the latest ExpressVPN subscription prices, current as at September 2023:
- 1 Month: $12.95
- 6 Months: $9.99
- 15 Months: $6.67 (Special Deal: 3 Months Free + Save 49%)
Note: All prices are in USD, and are Per Month.
How else does a VPN benefit me in PUBG?
The benefits of using a VPN in PUBG don’t just stop at allowing you to access the game from blocked countries or on restricted networks. It can also help you to:
- Cut down lag. Your PUBG game might lag for many different reasons, but one common issue is distance: your physical location is simply too far away from PUBG’s game servers, which means it would take longer for the server to process your in-game actions. Using a VPN to connect to a server right next to these game servers might help you reduce this lag.
- Protect yourself from cheaters. Nothing feels worse than losing in PUBG, except maybe losing to a cheater. You might run into online cheaters who employ DDoS attacks, or drophacks, which target your IP address and disconnect you from the game. Hiding your true IP address with a VPN can, however, protect you from these unfair cheats.
- Keep you safe on Public WIFI. Public WIFI networks can easily be compromised by hackers looking to steal your personal information over this unsecured network. If you have the habit of playing PUBG on public WIFI, it’s important to use a VPN to encrypt your data and protect yourself from these criminals.
PUBG’s unapologetically violent content and addictive gameplay has led to it being restricted in many countries and networks, but you can still easily evade these restrictions by using a VPN. NordVPN is one of the best VPN providers for this purpose, closely followed by ExpressVPN.
Below are links to some further articles that we’ve written relating to other hot topics in the online gaming niche: