Best VPN for World of Warcraft
James Patterson | Last Updated:
Online Gaming & Internet Privacy Expert
It’s been a long 17 years since players first logged into the mythical landscape of Azeroth in World of Warcraft (WoW), but this legendary MMORPG is still going strong today. Each new expansion to the franchise continues to draw millions of players back to the online game, but not everyone is able to get in on the action. WoW is restricted on many school and office networks, and many countries block WoW altogether for a variety of reasons.
Don’t despair just yet if you’re unlucky enough to be affected by these restrictions however. In almost all cases, you can easily restore your access to the game by using a Virtual Private Network, or VPN. VPN services encrypts your online gaming activity and web traffic and reroutes it through a private VPN server, hiding what you’re doing online from network administrators and the authorities.
Get your VPN working with WoW
Set up your VPN and jump into game straight away by following our simple 5-step guide:
QUICK START GUIDE: how to get a vpn and connect to WOW:
- Look up some of the VPN providers available, and subscribe to a reliable vpn – we strongly recommend NordVPN due to huge number of vpn servers located around the world, and their blazing fast server speeds..
- Download and install the VPN directly onto your computer.
- Run the VPN with administrative privileges.
- Connect to an available VPN server. Remember to pick one close to the WoW server that you are playing on.
- You’re ready to play! The game should be fully unblocked now, no matter where you’re playing from. Simply login to the game online, or create a WoW account if you don’t already have one, and start gaming!
The Best VPNs for WoW
Scared of committing to a VPN subscription, only to find the service not up to scratch? We understand – that’s why we’ve compared all the major VPN providers for you, and came up with two recommendations below for a VPN service which won’t let you down:
- Supported Devices:
NordVPN is our top recommendation for many reasons, but chief among them are it’s incredible server coverage and speed. With a network spanning over 5,200 servers in 65 different countries, you are guaranteed to find a server located close to your WoW server of choice to connect to. This is essential for a gaming VPN, since close server proximity leads to lower lag in-game.
NordVPN also offers its subscribers an incredibly speedy VPN connection, providing you with a smooth gaming experience. Not only are its servers capable of handling up to 10 GBPs speeds, it uses an in-house connection protocol Nordlynx which is both faster and more secure than the VPN protocols commonly used by its competitors.
And you are free to take advantage of these incredible speeds due to NordVPN having absolutely no bandwidth limit. Playing WoW online eats up a ton of internet data, which is something you won’t have to worry about with NordVPN.
NordVPN’s dedicated IP option is also important: While using a VPN is not against WoW rules, VPN users have been banned for connecting to the same WoW account from constantly changing IP addresses on suspicions of account-sharing. This can be avoided with NordVPN’s dedicated IP, which makes it so that you always use the same IP address while connected to Nord’s network.
NordVPN also offers excellent security features, such as server obfuscation which disguises your VPN connection as appearing to be just an ordinary internet connection. Your data is also secured by military-grade AES 256-bit data encryption able to stop outside parties from spying on your internet activity. This is relevant if you want to play WoW from a country where it is banned, and you don’t want the authorities to find out what you’re up to.
Below are the latest NordVPN subscription prices, current as at November 2022:
- 1 Month: $11.95
- 1 Year: $4.92 (Save 58%)
- 2 Years: $3.67 (3 Months Free + Save 69%)
Note: All prices are in USD, and are Per Month.
- Supported Devices:
ExpressVPN is the second VPN service we recommend, similarly for having the exceptional connection speed and server coverage which a VPN suitable for WoW requires. They regularly come up in the conversation for being the fastest overall VPN service on the market today, and boast 3,000 servers across a wide network of 95 different countries.
Conveniently, they also make it easy for users to set-up split tunneling through their VPN program. Split tunnelling allows you to keep specified programs on the VPN while other apps on your device are routed through your normal internet connection, useful for avoiding verification issues with things like your email or online banking account.
ExpressVPN also takes your security extremely seriously, being one of the first VPN services to adopt RAM-based servers, which they call TrustedServer. Their servers write only to RAM memory and not the hard drive, which means all data is wiped clean on each reboot. Even should their servers get raided or compromised, it would be impossible for the attackers to steal your data.
Below are the latest ExpressVPN subscription prices, current as at November 2022:
- 1 Month: $12.95
- 6 Months: $9.99
- 15 Months: $6.67 (Special Deal: 3 Months Free + Save 49%)
Note: All prices are in USD, and are Per Month.
What other benefits are there to using a VPN for WoW?
On first glance, it might seem odd to use a VPN for WoW if you’re not facing any problems with connecting to the game on your network, especially since players are not region-locked to only playing on their home servers. But VPN use can actually grant you some added advantages in-game in many cases:
- Protect yourself from hackers. In-game cheaters sometimes pay for online services to hit you with DDoS attacks, disconnecting you from the game. A VPN prevents these sorts of attacks from succeeding by hiding your true IP address.
- Play with less lag. Lag is often determined by the physical distance between you and the game’s servers. By using a VPN connection to connect to a server right next to WoW game servers, you can sometimes reduce this distance if you VPN service offers superior routing through their network.
- Undo IP Bans. You might have been IP banned previously for an unfair reason. Using a VPN would allow you to play the game again by allowing you to connect to the game through a different IP address.
A VPN is an easy way to continue playing WoW even on your school or office network, where online games are often restricted. It also allows players in banned countries to access the game, and even provides you with a better gaming experience by protecting you from hackers and reducing lag. NordVPN is our first choice for a gaming VPN for WoW, with ExpressVPN coming in at a close second.
Below are links to some further articles that we’ve written relating to other hot topics in the online gaming niche: